Aurora’s 1894 Central Station Is Proud Dwelling of a Regional Fireplace Museum – Kane County Connects
- Editor’s Note: This article is part of a weekly series on Kane County’s amazing history. Today’s post is contributed by Brian Failing, executive director of the Aurora Regional Fire Museum.
If you have ever driven on Broadway in downtown Aurora, you likely have seen a building at the corner of New York and Broadway with a large, green dome perched upon its roof and big bold letters over the front doors reading “A”, “F”, “D”.
This building was once home to the Aurora Fire Department and is now home to the Aurora Regional Fire Museum.
Aurora’s First Station — 1856
Aurora’s first Central Station, constructed in 1856, was located in the same place the Aurora Regional Fire Museum stands today.
As you can see in the photo above, the building was positioned next to the Aurora Police Department, and the city had an addition constructed between the two structures to put a roof over the Fire Deparment’s ladder truck.
Also in the picture above is Aurora’s 1892 aerial hook and ladder purchased from Michigan Fire Ladder and Engine Company of Grand Rapids, MI.
Central Station 1890s
Aurora’s “new” fire station was constructed in 1894 and served as Aurora’s Central Station until January 1981.
The Central Station was designed by Aurora-based architect John Edward Minott, who created numerous private residences and well-known public buildings throughout the area, including the German Methodist Church in Aurora, the Hobbs Building in Aurora, and the Masonic Block in Plainfield.
It is believed that Minott’s designs were influenced by the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition that took place in Chicago. In addition to being known for its classical architecture, the fair featured international pavilions representing cultures from around the world.
Moorish Temple and Persian Palace designs included domes very similar to that found on this building. The Moorish Temple included similar architectural elements found in our building, such as the keyhole windows.
Aurora’s Central Station was built at a cost of $10,000 to the city of Aurora. The two-story brick building was surmounted at the front with a mosque-like dome, from which a flag floated proudly.
When completed, the Aurora Beacon described it this way: “The finish is admirable, and its appearance, inside and out, is attractive. Over the three front entrances, in the big cut stone caps, are the letters A. F. D., so that no one need mistake the character of the building.”
Central Station 1969
Until 1981, the Central Station building was used for its original purpose as a fire station. In all of these years, the shell of the building remained the same, while the department grew around it.
In 1916, horses were no longer needed as all apparatus had turned to motorized vehicles. In 1920, the wooden apparatus floor replaced with concrete to support the heavier equipment.
A few decades later, in 1943, the copper-clad onion dome and bay windows were removed, presumably for wartime scrap drives, and for many years to come, doorways and windows were modified to meet the needs of the firefighters and the community.
In December 1980, Aurora’s new Central Station was completed just steps away from this building.
In subsequent years, the building was used as storage and even a space for training by the Aurora Police Department. By 1985, the city of Aurora allowed local businesses to bid on the building.
Public and political opinion about what to do with the building were at a stalemate. Many wanted the old Central Station to remain with the city and used as a museum or educational space. Others wanted a business or restaurant to occupy the building to enhance downtown Aurora.
Efforts to sell the old Central Station to several Aurora businesses — including a restaurant, medical insurance company, and a women’s clothing store — all failed. A group of community activists, building preservationists, and retired firefighters petitioned city officials to “Save Our Station” from demolition.
On Feb. 8, 1988, the Aurora Fire Station Preservation Corp. was founded for the purpose of rehabilitating the Old Central Fire Station as a charitable and educational museum. The group was comprised of a number of active community members as well as active and retired firefighters who wanted to see the building survive and for the museum to continue to thrive.
When the organization took control of the building, it was in disarray. Major repair work was needed: The roof leaked, the walls were thick with many layers of paint, and safety code violations were life-threatening. The old building suffered from the previous years of indecision.
Within years, the building was transformed into a clean and welcoming space. In 1990, the Aurora Fire Department transferred the collection to the Aurora Fire Station Preservation Corp. and the Aurora Regional Fire Museum opened its doors to the public in its newly renovated space.
In 2000, the city of Aurora received a grant from the state of Illinois to further renovate the old Central Station.
The grant money transformed the old Central Station into its turn-of-the-century glory: projected bay windows with leaded glass transoms, apparatus doors matching the 1894 design, and even a replica of the onion dome. These three architectural elements continue to make the Aurora Regional Fire Museum a gem while walking or driving in downtown Aurora.
The Aurora Fire Museum
The Aurora Regional Fire Museum was established in 1966 by the Aurora Fire Department and was housed in the basement of Station No. 4 on the city’s East Side until it moved to Central Station.
Opening its doors on Oct. 6, 1968, the museum has grown from a local fire museum to a regional institution.
The museum would not be where it is today if it were not for the work of dedicated individuals from the Aurora Fire Department and the Aurora Fire Station Preservation Corp. Through the foresight of the Aurora Fire Department, objects, photographs, and stories were saved and created the foundation on which the museum was formed.
Onion Dome Re-Created
Today, the Aurora Regional Fire Museum continues to care for and interpret the 1894 Central Station and features two floors of exhibits centered on the history of firefighting, the Aurora Fire Department, and fire safety.
For more information about the Fire Museum or to plan your visit; visit our website at www.auroraregionalfiremuseum.org.
Read The Kane County History Series!
- 1850-1925 Geneva — When Penmanship Was Mightier Than The Sword
- St. Charles Museum Site — From Serving Gas To Preserving History
- Elgin Puts 3,500 Priceless Photos Online
- Batavia-Inspired Miniatures Thrilled a Nation
- Aurora’s Maud Powell, World Famous Violinist
- Waxing Nostalgic on Geneva’s WGSB, WFXW
- American Doughboys of WWI — in St. Charles, IL
- Experience High-Tech History at April 21 ‘Open Elgin’ Event
- Batavia, IL — ‘Windmill Capital of The World’
- Meet Andy Aurora, Man About Town
- Celebrating The 50th Anniversary of 9-1-1 in Geneva
- Blue Goose And Evergreen Pub — ‘Shop Local’ 90 Years In The Making
- Elgin Is The Apple of Illinois Bicentennial’s Eye
- Nordens Soner And Batavia’s Swedish Society
- Aurora’s Melting Pot ‘Yearning To Breathe Free’
- Candles, Timing Devices, Phonographs And The ‘Life Cup’ — All Things Made in Geneva
- Hotel Baker, The ‘Masterpiece’ of The Fox Valley
- Elgin Celebrates Our Once-Burgeoning Dairy Business
- Reflections of Batavia’s Quarry Beach Pool
- Aurora’s Mabel O’Donnell, Author of “Alice And Jerry’ Books
- As Alice (Davis) Says, ‘Schools Out For Summer!’
- Elgin Watches, ‘The World’s Standard’
- Aurora Silverplate a Symbol of Good Taste
- Women Leaders Played Huge Roles in Geneva
- Nationally Renowned Summer Camp in St. Charles
- The Harrowing Story of William Lynch, Elgin’s Civil War Brigadier General
- Batavia Powered The Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway
- Corsets Doing Big Business in Aurora? Scandalous!
- One Block of Geneva Tells 1,001 Fantastic Stories
- St. Charles’ Evergreen Pub — The ‘Before’ Photos
- 1917-18 — When Elgin Artists Went to War
- Thomas Cleveland — Batavia’s Presidential Connection
- Do Your Wurst — Aurora Meat Markets Are ‘In’ Again
- Geneva Is The Place For Graveyards And Ghosts
- Visit Amelia Anderson At St. Charles’ North Side Cemetery
- Calling All Artists! … For a Cobblestone Reflection in Elgin
- Batavia’s 108-Year-Old Gazebo Still Lights The Way
- The Compelling, Tragic Story of Aurora’s Black WWI Hero Frank Boger
- Geneva History Museum Invites Artists To Celebrate Cultural Heritage
- Elgin’s Anson Clark Soared in The Great War … And Life
- What It Meant To Be a Patrol Boy and Louise White School
- ‘Men’s Night’ Christmas Shopping Was a 1950’s Aurora Phenomenon
- St. Charles Remembers Colson’s Christmas-Day Fire of ’33
- The Art of Elgin’s Cobblestone Reflections
- When Suffrage Met Prohibition in Batavia
- Geneva Presents The Art of The Fox River
- Blansford Astronomical Clock Is Aurora’s Treasure
- St. Charles Returns Family Heirlooms From WWII
- Museum Lands Painting By Elgin Artist Albert Kenney
- Cars Still Fixed at Historic Location in Downtown Batavia
- A Bird’s-Eye View of 19th Century Geneva
- Sheldon Peck: Kane County’s Connection To The Underground Railroad
- Elgin High School Celebrates 150 Years of ‘Education For All’
- Batavia’s Incredible Roller Skating History
- The Fabled History of Jewelry Stores in Geneva
- Astonishing Buried Treasure Discovered in Aurora Outhouse
- Lincoln Elementary School in St. Charles Celebrates 90 Years of Education
- Remembering Elgin High Grad, Renowned Composer Daniel Brewbaker, 1951 – 2017
- Meet Batavia’s Sharron Moran, LPGA Star, ‘Most Beautiful Golfer’ of 1966
- The Many Iterations of Geneva’s National Food Store
- The Burlington Zephyr — A ‘Silver Streak’ Through Aurora
- What IS That Thing in Downtown St. Charles?
- 18 Events, Limited-Edition Poster For Preservation Month in Elgin!
- Julius Amandus Anderson’s WWI Memorial Trapunto Banner
- Geneva’s Swedish Days Celebrates Its 70th Anniversary
- The Historic Drive To Save Aurora’s GAR Hall
- The Story of St. Charles’ Paddlewheel Riverboats
- Meet Elgin’s Legendary Marshal — Andrew Barclay Spurling
- Jackie DeShannon ‘Put A Little Love’ In Batavia
- Aurora’s William S. Hart, Cowboy Movie Star
- St. Charles’ First Settlers, One Lost, Found Again
- Discover The Elgin Stories All Around You
- Batavia’s WWI French Connection
- Amazing Stories Behind Geneva’s Extraordinary Parks
- Roots Aurora Seeks 2019 Nominations For Aurora Cultural Champions
- Newly Renovated Thompson Middle School Retains Memories of St. Charles High
- Elgin’s Bluff City Cemetery Memorializes City’s Past
- Batavia Connection to 1969 Moon Landing
- Geneva Company Made Huge Contribution to Art Deco
- East Vs. West 1914 — Aurora’s Greatest Football Game
- North, Union Cemeteries Are St. Charles’ Hallowed Grounds
- Elgin Temperance Crusaders Take Hatchet To Beer Fans
- Ever Heard of Clybourneville? (Hint: It’s Now in Batavia)
- Geneva Ghost Stories Rise From Former Hospital Site
- Aurora Tells The Cows To Shut Up
- Baby Face Nelson And 100 Years of St. Charles Boys School ‘Good, Bad And Ugly’
- Behold The Telegraph, Elgin’s First Digital Communication!
- Mary Bailey, Batavia’s Trailblazing Woman Lawyer
- Holiday Traditions, Historic Creche at Geneva History Museum
- Welcome To Thanksgiving Dinner at Aurora’s Tanner House
- St. Charles’ Whiskey Bend Signaled Boom Time For Taverns
- From Elgin Watch Cases To 4.2 Mortar Shells
- Lorraine James’ Art Leaves Lasting Impression on Batavia
- Geneva Remembers The Tornado of 1967
- New Year’s Calling in Aurora
- Newly Digitized Footage Documents Construction of St. Charles Municipal Building
- ‘New Year’s Calling’ in Aurora Was The Online Dating of Late 1800s
- A Woman’s Right To Vote — In Elgin
- How The Household Journal Came To Batavia
- Geneva’s East Side — From Dodson To Dog ‘N’ Suds
- On Leap Year, ‘She-Wolves of Aurora’ Have ‘Gender-Swapping Fun’
- Mary Todd Lincoln, Batavia Resident
- The Women Who Broke Codes at Riverbank Labs in Geneva
- Turn Around in Aurora And You’ll Bump Into a Luxembourger
- Geneva History Museum Offers COVID-19 Journal
- Aurora’s Amazing Family Portrait Exhibit ‘A Brilliant Idea’
- How St. Charles Survived The Spanish Flu in 1918
- Elgin Epidemics — COVID-19 Is Not The First To Bring Suffering, Sorrow
- Geneva Museum Passes Milestone
- Aurora’s African-American Police Officers
- Garner Family Is St. Charles’ Juneteenth Celebration Story
- Notable Black Americans From Elgin, IL
- Black Batavians Played Key Roles in History
- Geneva History Museum Reveals Archive Redesign
- Family Secrets — Historian Finds 1866 ‘I Love … ‘ Message Scratched in Tanner House Window
- Cut Glass Was Booming During Roaring 20s in St. Charles
- Elgin Remembers Devastating Palm Sunday 1920 Tornadoes
- Batavians Find Treasure in 150-Year-Old Privies
- Geneva Hosts Virtual Night at The Museum
- Visit Aurora’s Tanner House — With a Click of The Mouse
- Elgin Cemetery Walk Is Virtual Travel Through Time
- James Prindle Jr.’s Roll Top Desk Returns To Batavia
- 60 Years Ago, Kennedy Campaigned in Geneva
Sign Up To KCC E-Newsletter