at Concordia University Chicago
04/20/2021 | 3 p.m.
MONTGOMERY, IL – The Edgewood College softball team was out on Sunday to take on Aurora in a NACC twinbill. The Spartans used several large innings in each game to defeat Edgewood College. The first game was a 9-1 final and the second was an 8-2 result.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– As was the case when these two teams met on Saturday, the pitching of the Spartans (25-3, 10-2 NACC) on Sunday was an important factor. Hannah Tomasko walked the distance in the first game, while Courtney Rickard threw a full game in the second competition.
– The Eagles (9-21, 1-9 NACC) struck first in both games. At the start, Analiese Glawe prevailed in Jenna Sanchez and brought Edgewood College 1-0 up. The Spartans responded with two runs at the end of the second before embarking on the game with a third run of seven runs.
– In game two, Edgewood College took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when Emily Bloomfield drove a victim fly into Haylee Kasuboski. Aurora responded with a run in the bottom half, but the Eagles took the lead in the top third when Bloomfield drove an RBI double at Mackenzie Doherty.
– The Spartans’ big inning came third in game two as they scored four goals and took a 5-2 lead. Aurora would add three insurance runs at the end of the third.
– Bloomfield finished the second game with two RBIs and the double, while Morgan Koss scored two.
– The two to four hits for Aurora did the damage to the Spartans in game two. Josie Lytton, Lexie Rayborn and Aly Teixeira together scored eight hits, three RBI and three runs.
– The Eagles will visit Concordia Chicago on Tuesday for a NACC South Doubleheader. The first place on the CUC softball field is set for 3 p.m.